Five day Sri Vari Annual Float Festival- SriVari Teppotsavam
Tirumala, 1 March 2015: The five-day annual Theppotsavam at Sri Vari Temple, Tirumala began here on Sunday. The processional deities of Lord Rama, Lakshmana, Sita and Hanumantha, were taken around the mada streets encircling the holy shire in grand procession before reaching the venue, Sri Vari Pushkarini (temple tank). Later, the deities were mounted on the colourfully illuminated Float, and were dragged around the holy tank amidst great religious fervour from 7PM to 8PM. Tens of thousands of devotees congregated on the holy steps of the temple tank, hours in advance to enjoy the colourful festival. While asthana vidwans played the nadaswaram' the temple priests recited verses from the holy scriptures. The entire programme lasted for more than one hour.
IMPORTANCE OF TEPPOTSAVAMS
- Teppa Utsavam or Plavotsavam is the float festival which is usually observed for Five days in Srivari Pushkarani, in Tirumala Temple in every year.
- It is an annual festival being celebrated in the month of Paluguna (March/April) on the days of Ekadasi, Dwadasi, Trayodasi, Chaturdasi and Pournami(Full Moon Day).
- This year 2015, Srivari Teppotsavam (Float Festival) is celebrated from March 1, 2015 (Sunday) to March 5, 2015(Thursday).
- The earliest inscription relates to the year 1468 A.D. says that Sriman Maha Mandaleswara Medini Misraganda Kathhari Saluva Narasimha Raju Udayar", the Son of one "Saluva Gundaya Deva Maharaja Udayar", built a Vasanta Mantapam in the middle of Swami Pushkarani Teertha.
- Even today it is this mandapam from where the Teppa Utsavam starts.
- Earlier this festival was celebrated for nine days. But now it is being observed for five days starting from Ekadasi and concluding on Pournami.
Significance of Teppa Utsavam(Float Festival):
On every day the processional deities will be taken around the four mada streets(temple streets) encircling the holy shrine in grand procession before reaching the Srivari Pushkarani (Temple Tank). The deities are mounted on the colourful illuminated float boat.
On the first day the processional deities of Lord Sri Rama, Sita, Lakshmana and Anjaneya are taken round the Pushkarani Teertha in three rounds seated in well decorated float.
On the second day, Lord Sri Krishna and Goddess Rukmini Devi are taken round the Pushakarani Teertha to give darshan to the myriads of devotees in three rounds.
On the Third, Fourth and Fifth days, Lord Sri Malayappa Swamy along with his consorts Goddess Sridevi and Goddess Bhudevi, seated in the float go round on all sides of the temple tank in three, five and seven rounds respectively.
- The Teppa Utsavam(Float Festival/Plavotsavam) is celebrated as an Arjitha Seva. Pilgrims shall participate in this utsavam by purchasing the tickets and after this festival arjitha seva ticket holders have the darshan of Lord Sri Venkateswara Swamy, inside the tirumala temple.
Srivari Teppotsavam(Float) Festival Timings:
The festival begins in Srivari Pushkaram, Tirumala at 7:00 in the evening on all five days.
- TTD will cancel "Sahasra Deepalankarana Seva" for the first two days i.e. on March 1, and March 2
- Arjitha Brahmotsavam, Vasanthotsavam and Sahasra Deepalankarana Sevas will also be cancelled for the next three days i.e. from March 3 to March 5.
- TTD also cancelled monthly Pournami Garuda Vahana Seva on March 5 in connection with Srivari Annual Float Festival in Tirumala Temple.
ISSUED BY THE PUBLIC RELATIONS OFFICER TTDs, TIRUPATI
Srivari Teppotsavam Photo-Gallery